On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 08:29:44AM -0500, Tom Embt wrote:

 > >This would be great, but I wonder from what source we could take reliable
 > >data about -current's stability.
 >
 > How 'bout some sort of client program that is run via the rc.d and
 > rc.shutdown scripts?

One of the more annoying aspects of IRIX in its default config is
that whenever you do a halt or reboot it'd pop up a menu to ask why.
That information, together with crash dump info and other data about
system failures, can be funnelled into a mail filter which records
historical reliability data;  That data can (optionally) be sent back
to SGI too.

We could provide something like this, but (a) if it's on by default
it'll suck rocks, and (b) if it's off by default nobody will bother
turning it on.  Hey ho!

    - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (H)