On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 05:25:22PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 12:16:31AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > I copied libc.so.4 manually to /usr/lib but that is not sufficient.
> > It looks like ld-elf sticks to libc.so.4 even if I move the symlink
> > libc.so back from libc.so.4 to libc.so.3
>
> Yes.  Each shared library knows it's name when it was compiled (minor
> hand waving here).  The linker then burns the shlib name (not file name,
> but shlib name gotten from a header in the shlib.

The linker burns the shlib name into the executable it links, right?
Then why don't my executables linked end of december with libc.so.3
work anymore?

Essentially everything linked shared is now broken. And I have only
built/installed libc.so.4 (I did not get any further :/) and not any
executables.

So, why are the 'old' executablas no longer working happily with libc.so.3
they are linked to?

Wilko ('puzzled')

--
Wilko Bulte             Arnhem, The Netherlands   - The FreeBSD Project
                        WWW : http://www.tcja.nl  http://www.freebsd.org