Hi,

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> Let's try not to cross-post this any more, eh?

 I believe the suggested change interests both branches; -chat removed.

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:55:55 +0200, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
>
> >  Then let's get the other way around (change in /etc/rc):
>
> No, you're missing the point.  /var/tmp is expected to survive reboots.
> That's its definition according to the hier(7) manual page.  If you
> choose to break that functionality, don't expect anyone to make
> gratuitous changes to the FreeBSD startup scripts to support your
> oddball configuration. :-)
>
> >  And let me notice that the original script assumes existence of this
> > directory whereas if I don't run vi I won't get one...
>
> It does so because of the definition of /var/tmp .
>
> >  I use this small hack to get around the ugly error message I get every
> > time I boot with MFS mounted /var/tmp -- suited me well until now.
>
> You shouldn't be mounting /var/tmp in MFS, because a memory file system
> does not survive a reboot -- that's where you've gone wrong.

 I'm not discussing the definition of /var/tmp ! I just recognise that
lots of people (including me) step over this rule (as they don't need
those bits to survive reboots, for example) and they MFS mount /var/tmp
(at least) for the sake of optimizing compile times (cc uses /var/tmp for
temporary files). So that makes us otlaws but this doesn't change the
facts...

 All I want is not to assume existence of /var/tmp/vi.recover in /etc/rc.
Because this is a simple hack that by _no chance_ breakes any set rules I
believe it to be very good commit candidate. Anyone care to do it ?

> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

 Thanks,
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)