On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 11:00:43AM -0500, Ben Rosengart wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> >   --binary-files='text' treats binary files as text
> >       (equivalent to -a or --text).
>
> So "-a" now does the opposite of what it used to do?

Not exactly.

A stock grep 2.0 did not distinguish between binary and text files.
So we (FreeBSD) added -a option, which caused grep to skip binary
files.

A stock grep 2.3 intoduced a stock -a option.  By default, grep 2.3
prints a one-line message "Binary file FOO matches" (if it really
matches).

Grep 2.4 introduces a --binary-files option, which could be used
to either 1) print a one-line message, if files matches; 2) treat
the binary files as text files; 3) skip binary files.

The equivalent to the old -a option is --binary-files=without-match.
If you want this by default, you can hardcode it in GREP_OPTIONS
environment variable.

For a full story, see src/gnu/usr.bin/grep/NEWS.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA of the
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        United Commercial Bank,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age