> > If somebody _really_ want to ping forever, let them use -t0, and
> > defend the rest of us from our blunders of forgetting a ping, keeping
> > the line open infinitely.
>
> I use ping for precisely this purpose. Yes, I could change my setup,
> but so could you :-)

I used SunOS (and later Solaris) for many years - with ping having a
default count of 1. I hated it - I almost always used the -s option to
get *my* desired ping behavior (standard BSD). And it wasn't a case of
being used to something else - SunOS *was* my first contact with Unix.

So please don't change the default behavior of ping.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [EMAIL PROTECTED]