On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Taavi Talvik wrote:

> Maybe we should extend meaning of USA_RESIDENT or introduce new variable
> indicating contry. After doing netfork install, subsecuent fetces for
> ports/packages/distfiles from nearest
> ftp.xx.freebsd.org/cvsup.xx.freebsd.org is really handy. Specially for
> newcomers, who do not yet have idea of editing /etc/make.conf

There seems to be broad support for this idea, but I'd prefer to leave it
as is for now and get it working properly, then we can revisit it after
4.0-REL.

Fetching packages due to network topology is another idea I've wanted to
implement for a while, although I was thinking of doing it dynamically by
testing the available bandwidth to each of the hosts (and storing it in a
database) and using them in order of increasing bandwidth.

Kris

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson