On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 07:03:04 -0800 (PST), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Satoshi Asami)
>said:
>
> > How do I test if sigset_t is empty in -current?  The xview sources
> > have this macro:
>
> int
> sigisempty(sigset_t *my_sigset)
> {
>       static sigset_t empty_ss;
>       static int emptied;
>
>       if (!emptied) {
>               sigemptyset(&empty_ss);
>               emptied++;
>       }
>
>       return (memcmp(my_sigset, &empty_ss, sizeof empty_ss) == 0);
> }

You should know better than to compare structs for equality.  Even
the implementation can't do this in a machine-independent way.  The
current implementation can do it machine-independently by comparing
each element of the __bits[] struct member with 0.

The correct answer seems to be "you can't do that" :-).  Even checking
all signals from 1 to the maximum signal number is difficult because
the maximum signal number is difficult to determine and it may be
INT_MAX.

rcs has fought with variations of this problem.  It now uses the following
method: keep track of the largest signal number of interest for the
current operation, and check all signals from that signal number down to 1.
See rcs/lib/rcsutil.c.

Bruce