"joanra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have done all what you have told me to do, but it still doesn't work. Now
> i have another problem, i have removed the DEVICES WD* (as you told me) and
> i can't mount partitions. It mounts WD on / but just as READ-ONLY and i
> can't do anything, How could i mount it whith writing permisions to continue
> trying things??

     At this point, you're slightly screwed -- you can probably fix your
system, but it's going to take some work.  I hope you have backups.

     This will probably only work if you did an installworld, as MAKEDEV
needs the new version of /sbin/mknod; the old, existing version won't
work.  Also note that "MAKEDEV all" doesn't make the slice devices
(e.g., /dev/ad0s1a); you'll have to explicitly tell MAKEDEV to build
those.

     If you didn't do an installworld, but did rebuild the kernel and
attempted to mess with /dev, the general procedure for fixing this is:

[ DANGER: I HAVE NOT TESTED THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE.  I AM CREATING THE
  FOLLOWING PROCEDURE FROM MEMORY, AND SO IT MAY BE MISSING KEY PARTS,
  WHICH COULD DESTROY ALL DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  MAKE SURE YOU HAVE
  BACKED UP YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE TRYING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING. ]

1. Boot from a fixit floppy/CDROM.  In the past, I've used a FreeBSD
   3.3-RELEASE CDROM for this.

   [ I'm also amazed that the following procedure works, given that I'm
     running -current binaries under 3.3-RELEASE.  ]

2. Mount the hard disk.  I generally mount it as "/mnt".

3. Do (assuming /mnt as the mount point):

        cd /mnt
        mv dev dev.old
        mkdir dev
        cd dev
        cp /mnt/usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV .

4. If you did a buildworld:

        cp /mnt/usr/obj/usr/src/sbin/mknod/mknod /sbin

   If you did not do a buildworld (yes, this is messy, but it should
   work):

        cd /mnt/usr/src/sbin/mknod
        make
        cp mknod /sbin

5. Do:

        cp /mnt/usr/src/etc/group /etc  # Needed for group "wheel"
        cd /mnt/dev
        sh ./MAKEDEV all
        sh ./MAKEDEV ad2s1a             # since you use the ad2 slices

   NOTE 1: the first time you run MAKEDEV, it may complain about missing
   programs; if so, put/install the missing programs into the correct
   locations, and re-run MAKEDEV (until no errors occur).

   NOTE 2: You don't have to execute "sh MAKEDEV ad2s1b", etc., to make
   the other slice devices; running "sh MAKEDEV ad2s1a" will create all
   of the "ad2s1*" devices.