> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > > John can implement a ping echo packet protocol for cvsup whose
> > > response can have "cool" information on the server. Steven's
> > > book on Networking already has the code for doing network latency
> > > calculations . It is more like if John has the time to implement
> > > such scheme ....
> >
> > You don't even need to modify the protocol.  Just write a small
> > tcp program that times the 3 way handshake on open to all the
> > servers, take the one with the sortest time and spit that out
> > for the user to stuff in his cvsupfile.
> >
> > 15 lines of perl should be more than enough :-)
> >
> Hi,
>
> Thats gross server load balancing . The network travel time
> does not tell you how how loaded the machine is or the server.

It may be gross to the server but it is optimal to the networks :-)

> There are  couple of RFCs on network load balancing with
> respect to servers or services and I am sure that there
> are also widely available research papers.

Most of those concentrate on balancing the load on the server
itself.  How about balancing the load on the network paths,
I doubt very much that we have a server load problem near as
much as we have a network load problem due to people not
having ready access to the data that says ``this server is
closest network wise to me''.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               [EMAIL PROTECTED]