On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 06:20:38PM -0500, Ben Rosengart wrote:
> > Anyway, if multi CNAME is no good then do:
> >
> > cvsup               IN A            198.104.92.71  ; cvsup1.freebsd.org
> > cvsup               IN A            205.149.189.91 ; cvsup2.freebsd.org
> > ... and so on
> >
> > This is legal, is it?
>
> Not only is it legal, but I believe BIND will return all the A records
> to any query, and will rotate them.

The problem with this is that any time a cvsup server operator
decides to renumber their mirror, they need to inform the soa
for freebsd.org (and factor in the freebsd.org TTLs to manage
the change).

In practice this will not work, and will cause 1/n cvsup attempts
to fail after a machine has been renumbered until TTLs expire.

Joe