On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 10:03:25AM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:

>> Nice. The newbus architecture introduces overhead in I/O and old chipsets
>> (or old compatible modes) do not always support it.
>>
>> Your drive runs really faster too, doesn't it?
>
>Have you measured the overhead? I think it should be trivial compared to
>the effort of using inb/outb to poll a port.

No, but each time function calls are introduced in the ppbus framework
(initially to isolate ppbus layers and now with newbus) some parallel port
stop working. Certainly more a timing issue than a performance issue I think.

But some good hardware never failed, some bad hardware fails with either
slow (486) or fast processors.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org