On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 06:34:08PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:00:58 +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> > An attached patch seems to fix the problem.
>
> Does anybody actually understand what's really going on in this file?
> Everyone uses the words "seems to" and "I think" when they're proposing
> fixes in this file.

Disregard my "seems" word above, it really fixes the problem ;=)

BTW, I has given a comment:
| The idea was that `copies' should first undo all the
| things `symlinks' did, but it is broken now.

> I propose that we hold out for a fix which is accompanied by comments
> that explain what the hell all these oddball variables are used for and
> why SHARED is overridden (or used at all in the buildworld case).

Obviously, to speed up the building process.

> Ruslan, if I misunderstood your words, please don't take offense.  It's
> just that this'll be the 5th commit in this regard without comment
> from Marcel, who was responsible for rewriting most of this Makefile
> recently.

I was told by Alexey Zelkin that Marcel was hired by some giant company,
and he asked for FreeBSD vacation for some time (though I personally
did not see such a message)...

--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA of the
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        United Commercial Bank,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age