Chris Giordano wrote:
  > Previous to newpnp, I forced the modem (sio2) to irq 15 and the
soundcard to
  > irq 5 via pnp commands in my /boot/kernel.conf.  I did this because
I had
  > found by experimentation that this was the only combination of the
supposedly
  > available PnP configurations which enabled both devices to work.

I can report similar problems with my US Robotics internal 56K Fax/Modem
and my SoundBlaster 16 isa card. On Freebsd 3.4 I "hard wire" the cards
using kernel.conf file. On -Current I found that the only way I can get
the cards to work is to configure my IWILL XA100P motherboard so that
irq 3 and 5 are set up for "legacy" cards and are not automagically
assigned. (I disable the 2nd serial port as well so that irq 3 is
available.) When I do this reconfiguration of the motherboard, the modem
and sound card work together with few problems.

I can play sound and do a compilation without problems. I do have 192MB
of memory add a 450Mhz processor so there is plenty of spare
"horsepower" for essentially a "single user" system.

I do occasionally get a flutter on startup and can reliably see a cutoff
of sound at the end of reading a wave or midi file. But for most things
it seems to work fine. The "say" program from the rsynth port provides a
good demonstration of the "cutoff" phenomena.

George Dinolt ([EMAIL PROTECTED])