On 5 Feb 00, at 22:30, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > After a make -k -DNOFSCHG installworld and a make installworld, I'm
> > getting this:
> >
> > install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   genassym /usr/bin
> > install: genassym: No such file or directory
> > *** Error code 71
>
> It's a do-once type of thing, like the xinstall stuff.  Go install
> genassym once, it won't bother you again.  It was discussed in the
> lists, and doesn't affect most build intervals.  You got *lucky*.

Ahh yes, and it's in UPDATING.  my bad.  Sorry.

I tried that.  Then did a make installworld.  Then I found that conifig
wasn't installed either.  so I did a

cd usr.sbin/config
make
make install
cd /usr/src
make installworld

then I followed these instructions from UPDATING for making a kernel:

                cd src/usr.bin/genassym
                make depend all install clean
                cd ../../usr.sbin/config
                make depend all install clean
                cd ../../../sys/i386/conf
                config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
                cd ../../compile/YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
                make depend && make

Some of that may have been redundant, given my make installworld
problems, but so be it.

I got *lucky*?  What?  twice in one weekend?  /me beams.

Thanks to those that have helped.  Everything built this time.  cheers.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited [I'm looking for more work]
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.freebsddiary.org/