I used my running 3.4 stable to run `make buildworld' on the sources
from 2000-02-04 or so.  I ran across the xinstall problem but worked
around it, then tried `make installworld', which failed and hosed my
machine.  In order to make sure that the xinstall workaround wasn't
the problem, I installed 3.1 from a CD, then restored the /usr/obj and
/usr/src trees from before the hosing.  I ran `make installworld'
again.  This happily installed quite a number of files, but it barfed
when installing bin/test (with a coredump).  After this, I didn't have
a working system anymore, since /bin/sh threw a core on me.

I'm right now running a new `make update' which has already updated
/usr/src/UPDATING.  So I had a quick peek in there which told me that
the above problem is not discussed there.  I also had a peek in this
mailing list which told me that someone is happily installing into a
different directory.  Alas, my disk space is low and so I'm installing
into the real / and /usr partitions.

Please feel free to flame me if I've done something exceptionally
stupid (and I'm afraid I might have done just that).  What did I do
wrong?  Or is it just not possible to upgrade from 3.x to 4.0 in situ?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory