>    I have rebuilt sysinstall inside the 0207-SNAP area and can
> recreate the problem by simply running sysinstall as root and
> running an installation to /install. Also, previously, I was
> using a cdrom as the media, I am now using ftp.

Thanks for your debugging work so far.  I just got back from a full
week away at LinuxWorld and am just catching up on the backlog.  I'll
dive on this one tonite and hopefully have both it and the -current
snapshot server fixed in time for the 20000208 snapshot (the snapshot
process runs at 2am, so 20000207 has already failed).

- Jordan