Hi, there.

        I'm now faced with a problem concerning ipfw + natd on the
very current world with /etc properly updated. The problem is
described as this: Enabling options IPFIREWALL & IPDIVERT plus running
natd makes it freeze on shutdown with no messages, no response to my
key input, no reply to a ping from another host. :(

        FYI, my configuration is shown as follows, which ipfw/natd
part is entirely taken from my 3.4-STABLE machine that _is_ working
amazingly fine for quite a long time.

knu@archon[2]% uname -a
FreeBSD archon.local.idaemons.org 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #25:
Thu Feb 10 18:51:07 JST 2000
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/compile/ARCHON  i386
knu@archon[2]% cat /etc/rc.conf
network_interfaces="fxp0 lo0"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.1.32  netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
hostname="archon.local.idaemons.org"
moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/cuaa0"
moused_type="intellimouse"
moused_flags="-w 2 -z 5 -m 7=2 -m 2=4 -m 4=5 -m 5=6 -m 6=7"
allscreens_flags='-m on'
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"
firewall_quiet="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
amd_enable="YES"
amd_flags="-F /etc/amd.conf"
saver="logo"
keyrate="fast"
knu@archon[2]% perl -ne 's/ *#.*//; print if /\S/' /sys/i386/conf/ARCHON
machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           ARCHON
maxusers        32
options         INET
options         FFS
options         FFS_ROOT
options         SOFTUPDATES
options         MFS
options         NFS
options         MSDOSFS
options         NTFS
options         EXT2FS
options         CD9660
options         PROCFS
options         NULLFS
options         UNION
options         PORTAL
options         COMPAT_43
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000
options         UCONSOLE
options         USERCONFIG
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG
options         KTRACE
options         SYSVSHM
options         SYSVMSG
options         SYSVSEM
options         P1003_1B
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options         _KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L
options         ICMP_BANDLIM
options         SMP
options         APIC_IO
device          isa
device          eisa
device          pci
device          fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device          fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata
device          atadisk
options         ATA_STATIC_ID
device          ahc
device          scbus
device          da
device          sa
device          cd
device          pass
device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12
device          vga0    at isa?
pseudo-device   splash
device          sc0     at isa?
device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13
device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20
device          pcm0
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus
device          lpt
device          plip
device          ppi
device          fxp
pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   sl      1
pseudo-device   ppp     1
pseudo-device   tun
pseudo-device   pty     16
pseudo-device   md
pseudo-device   vn
pseudo-device   bpf     4
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPDIVERT
options         SHMMAXPGS=2049
options         COMPAT_LINUX
knu@archon[2]% cat /etc/natd.conf
log                     no
deny_incoming           yes
use_sockets             no
same_ports              yes
unregistered_only       yes
dynamic                 yes
knu@archon[2]%

        If I disable natd by setting natd_enable="NO", then shutdown
goes just fine. Also I confirmed that neither falling onto single user
mode, unloading every kernel module nor killing natd causes freezing.

        Any suggestions?

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."