I have just finished a net install of 4.0-20000209-CURRENT using the
sysinstall's "Upgrade" procedure, over a 3.4-RELEASE system. Well,
the system is now running OK, but I found some small issues.

First, I must say that I was not following the -CURRENT branch since
the transition to 3.1-STABLE. This means that my point of view is similar
to that of many users who will install 4.0-RELEASE.

The target machine is based on a Iwill PIILS motherboard (with integrated
Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller), and it has no ATA peripherals. Its ethernet
adapter is a 3COM509 (until I can borrow a better card ;-) ).

1. Just after booting the install kernel, I went to the visual configuration
   screen in order to disable all drivers for unexistent devices. My first
   surprise was that the ep(4) driver was not listed. However, the install
   kernel includes this driver: the card was correctly detected. I think that
   this issue should be documented somewhere, or lots of questions will
   flood the mailing lists :-)

2. From sysinstall, I selected the "Upgrade" option, the "X-User"
   distribution, and I customized it adding "games". However, /usr/games
   was not touched by the upgrade.

3. I selected "ftp7.de.freebsd.org" as installation media. However, the
   directory was not found; then, I had to specify the exact URL:
   ftp://ftp7.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/.

4. After finishing an upgrade (using sysinstall or "make world") I always
   examine /sbin, /bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/libexec and /usr/lib,
   searching for old binaries and libraries that must be removed or that
   should have been overwritten by the new versions. And I found that
   there was two files under /usr/libexec not touched by the upgrade:
   mail.local and ld-elf.so. They have the "schg" flag, so I think that
   the upgrade failed to overwrite them.

5. Next step: build a custom kernel. I knew that the gcc compiler is new,
   and I typed a "man cc" to find that I can use a "-march=pentiumpro"
   flag. Great! Then, I edited /etc/make.conf and... where is the new
   make.conf? In /etc/upgrade? No! In /usr/src/etc? No! I found it after
   doing a "grep make.conf /usr/share/mk/*": it resides in /etc/defaults!
   OK, I created a new /etc/make.conf only containing the changes from
   the defaults.

6. Boot the new kernel. The boot messages seem OK, except:

   ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
   isa0: unexpected tag 14               <<<<<============ THIS! ??
   fdc0: <NEC 72065B or clone> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0

7. I tested sound and it did not work. What happened? Easy: the new pcm
   driver attachs itself as "pcm0" instead of "pcm1". Then, I remade
   the sound devices with ./MAKEDEV snd0, and sound worked again.

8. I started X (I use KDE) and it worked, even after removing the old
   libraries. This is good, as I don't want to compile KDE today :-)
   Using ldd(1) I listed the shared libraries used by some KDE binaries,
   to find that some libs are under /usr/lib/compat. Well, this means
   that KDE (like most ports, I suppose) should be recompiled. But then,
   a thought crossed my mind: what about XFree86? The binaries have been
   built for FreeBSD 3.x! And indeed:

   /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA:
        libxpg4.so.2 => /usr/lib/libxpg4.so.2 (0x282ee000)
        libz.so.2 => /usr/lib/libz.so.2 (0x282f2000)
        libm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libm.so.2 (0x282ff000)
        libc.so.3 => /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.3 (0x2831a000)  <<<<=====

   Hummm... This is ugly. This means that the XFree86 3.3.6 which will
   be distributed with 4.0-RELEASE needs the "compat3x" libraries.
   This should be documented somewhere.

That's all for the moment. Sorry for the long message, but I thought
that this information could be useful.

Cheers,
-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071