>> >moused_enable="NO"      # Run the mouse daemon.
>> >moused_type="mousesystems"      # See man page for rc.conf(5) for available
> se
>> >ttings.
>> >moused_port="/dev/cuaa0" # Set to your mouse port.
>> >moused_flags=""         # Any additional flags to moused.
>>
>> Your configuration refers to a serial port, not the PS/2 mouse port.
>> And moused is NOT running (moused_enable="NO")!
>>
>> You had better check the exact configuration when the lock up
>> happened.  As far as I can infer from the description above and the
>> dmesg below, both the psm driver and moused has nothing to do the lock
>> up.
>> Kazu
>
>My misstatement on the psm issue.  It would be indeed a serial mouse.
>The fact that moused_enable="NO" is due to the fact that I've had to
>explicitly disable the mouse in order to prevent the crash.
>
>The fact remains, however -- If moused_enable is set to YES, and the
>mouse is not present, the kernel crashes when trying to start moused,
>and it crashes VERY hard.  It is a total freeze.
>This crash is the issue.  I'm pursuing the fact that if this is
>reproducible elsewhere that it is unacceptable.
>
>I've now done a completely clean cvs and world build, and the same
>for the kernel.  The problem is still occuring.
>
>This just doesn't seem at all acceptable to me that the kernel should
>simply hang upon moused startup when, for example, the mouse becomes
>disconnected.  Like I stated previously, a kernel from January 24 does
>not exhibit this problem when moused is enabled with YES and there
>is no mouse connected.
>
>I've reproduced this on two machines, so I believe hardware can be ruled
>out.  I'm now compelled to dig out a serial mouse to test to see how
>moused operates when the mouse is indeed present, and how -CURRENT handles
>the mouse being unplugged during system use.
>
>So, I'll pose a different question on this issue: Is anyone able to
>confirm or discount the issue of moused hanging the system when an expected
>serial mouse is not connected?
>
>Cheers,
>Scott

The recent changes regarding moused and sio:

usr.sbin/moused/moused.c
----------------------------
revision 1.37
date: 2000/01/24 10:26:46;  author: yokota;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -1
Added the PnP ID for MouseSystems SmartScroll Mouse (serial mouse).
This mouse may be a OEM version of Genius EasyScroll Mouse.

(The mouse has three buttons on top, one side button and a wheel which
also acts as a button.  However, I know no way to activate the wheel,
and it can only be used as an ordinary 3-buttons mouse :-)
----------------------------
revision 1.36
date: 2000/01/20 13:39:08;  author: yokota;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -1
Add the PnP ID for the Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel (serial
version).
----------------------------

Both changes have nothing to do with the way moused accesses the serial
port.

sys/isa/sio.c
----------------------------
revision 1.287
date: 2000/01/29 03:02:55;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +9 -2
"Completed" the previous fix.  Return ENOMEM on memory allocation failure
in sioattach(), not ENXIO.  Free resources before returning early in
sioprobe() and sioattach().
----------------------------
revision 1.286
date: 2000/01/23 15:11:15;  author: n_hibma;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
Return ENXIO on error, not 0. Seems to have been skipped when converting
to newbus.

Reviewed by:    bde

Both changes have effect only when we fail to attach a serial port,
which is not the case with your machine...

Hmm. Any idea, Bruce?

Kazu