>> Is it just some misconfiguration of mine which causes getaddrinfo()
>> with an unqualified hostname, IPv6 and hints->ai_family == AF_UNSPEC
>> to block (trying a DNS lookup I guess), even when the hostname has a
>> perfectly good IPv4 address, or is this normal behaviour? This seems
>> rather annoying, and means something as simple as "ftp otherhost" will
>> block unless I use the FQDN. Is there any way to avoid this behaviour?
>It may happen with older versioin of getaddrinfo() at least.
>getaddrinfo() in getaddrinfo.c before 1.5 did reverse lookup
>when AI_CANONNAME flag is specified, so if reverse lookup
>information was not obtained, it would block.

        Ben, if you run tcpdump, do you see forward lookups for AAAA?

        If so, I believe this problem is same as this one, not AI_CANONNAME
        issue in old getaddrinfo code:
        http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=9413

        I intend to correct this one, however, the way to fix it is very
        dependent to resolver internal functions.  so fix to netbsd-current
        won't apply to freebsd-current.

itojun