I can reliably reproduce this problem with the following lines in
/boot/loader.conf.local

splash_bmp_load="YES"
bitmap_name="/boot/earth.bmp"
bitmap_load="YES"

        I have the same VESA and splash screen options in my kernel now
(sources cvsup'ed yesterday) that I did on the system previously (sources
from 9/22/99). Those are the only lines in the file. If I comment them
out, it boots normally. dmesg, etc. available on request. I'm also willing
to try patches, etc. This is an all-IDE system. I can try enabling a
splash screen on my SCSI + IDE CD system at home if you want and see if
that breaks too...

Let me know,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"