On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 02:27:31PM +0800, User URANIA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     I've a Netfinity 5000 Server, internal 5 PCI slot onborad.
> If i put one Intel 82558 NIC at 5th PCI Slot, everythings goes
> fine. Every times i put the same Intel NIC to any other PCI
> slots ( 1th ~ 4th ), after system login prompt , i also login
> as root, then system direct reboot .... ><#
>
>     I also set these flags at my /etc/make.conf
>
> #
> CFLAGS= -mpentiumpro -O6 -pipe -funroll-loops -fexpensive-optimizations
> #
> # To avoid building various parts of the base system:
> NO_SENDMAIL=  true
> #NO_CVS=      true
> #
> # To compile just the kernel with special optimisations, you should use
> # this instead of CFLAGS (which is not applicable to kernel builds anyway):
> #
> COPTFLAGS= -mpentiumpro -O6 -pipe -funroll-loops

Please forget the "special" optimization parameters and compile world
and kernel with standard -O -pipe. Make sure you don't have any unusual
tweaks anywhere. Then compile GENERIC kernel and try it out. I don't
think the optimizing compiler is bad idea but I haven't seen any
significant gains versus dying kernels and weird acting standard system
binaries.
--

Vallo Kallaste
[EMAIL PROTECTED]