I have an older Pentium box that has a MATSHITA CR-581/1.04 (as seen from
3.4-STABLE) CD drive (4x) on the fourth IDE interface (second IDE controller
slave).  The IDE controller is the buggy CMD640B.  I have been trying to
install 4.0-CURRENT-20000214 to no avail.  I get the following errors (I
wrote them down as I have no way to log them).

acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG  DONEDRQ
acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG  ABORTED COMMAND asc=4e ascq=00 error=00
ata1: resetting devices ... done

This is repeated 4 or 5 times until sysinstall starts and tries to probe the
devices.  Then I get a kernel page fault and it reboots.  This drive has
worked flawlessly under FreeBSD 3.4 and Linux 2.2.

Soren, do you have any idea what might be the problem?  Is there anything I
can do to give you more information?  I have 3.4-STABLE installed on the box
presently - it is serving as my gateway/firewall, so it really can't afford
much downtime until I am ready to upgrade to 4.0.

Thanks,

Tom Veldhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]