Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Alexander Leidinger writes:
> : Works here without problems (TERM = xterm & xterm-color).
> :
> : Wild guess: Does your shell support 8bit-chars?
>
> No.  The line drawing characters aren't 8 bit characters on VT100
> derived terminals.  My guess is that you don't have a proper line
> drawing font installed on your system for the font you are using for
> the xterm.  Been too long since I read the man page to know what you
> need to tweak, but I'm sure that it is there.

You are right! I was using the "lucidatypewriter" font (I really _like_
that font). I switched the xterm to use "fixed" font and the line
drawing characters now appear.

Hummm... is there any way to force ncurses to use the old '-', '|' and
'+' characters for drawing lines and boxes (perhaps the "ac" termcap
capabilility)? I prefer lucidatypewriter over fixed font.

Thank you very much,
-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071