<<On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 11:04:15 -0800 (PST), Archie Cobbs <arc...@whistle.com>
said:

> Peter pointed out that having the sysctl's as symbols was a nice
> advantage of the current system. How important is this?

I don't think it's important at all.  (Then again, I liked the old
system.)

> If we were willing to give this up, then the SYSCTL() macro could
> just expand to a SYSINIT() that called sysctl_add_subtree() (or
> whatever you want to call it) upon loading.

Seems reasonable to me.  The only problem with this is likely to be
OID_AUTO, which I happen to think is bogus anyway.  It is vital that
we maintain the ability to reference sysctl entities by compile-time
constant integers, so as not to break backwards compatibility with
other 4.4 systems and the Stevens books.

-GAWollman

woll...@lcs.mit.edu  | O Siem / The fires of freedom