On Jan 21,  9:40pm, Warner Losh wrote:
} Subject: Re: keymaps
} In message <199901220043.laa22...@lightning.itga.com.au> Gregory Bond writes:
} : my vote: A version of the standard keymap with CapsLock and LeftCtl
} : functions swapped so the control key is under my left finger like
} : God intended!
}
} What's wrong with us.unix.kbd?

Two things for me:

        It's not in the sysinstall menu.

        I'm not sure I like the Esc <-> ~` swap.

Does anyone know of any decent PC keyboards with a Unix-friendly layout?
I'm pretty happy with the layout on a Sun Type-5 keyboard, which puts
Esc right above Tab and to the left of 1 (where PC's generally have ~`).
The Return key is wide, but is confined to the home row, and Backspace
is also wide and is in the row immediately above it.  This leaves room
in the top row (below the function keys, where  PC's put Backspace),
for |\, which PC keyboards put in various random places, and ~`.