On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:14:20 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:

>       While we're on this subject, I recently did some benchmarking
>with just a single disk on a machine running 3.4-STABLE, both with
>and without softupdates.  I haven't yet gotten a chance to test it
>with vinum and softupdates, but what I got did a pretty good job of
>impressing me.

I'm impressed by both vinum and softupdates.  If I didn't need to run
cables from my computer-room through the kitchen and to the garage, I'd
be tempted to hang on to my friend's machine (he intends to sell it).

Oh well.  At some point I may create my own poor-man's desktop RAID
cluster with several PCI-IDE controllers and a cheap IDE master per
interface (no slaves).  Not quite as good as SCSI but a heck of a lot
cheaper.

        -- Parag Patel