> I think Solaris (?) requires you to do this, it's called "plumbing
> your interfaces" or something (according to Julian).

Solaris requires "interface plumbing" as the result of STREAMS; you
have to push IP on top of the interface driver. For all intents and
purposes, the device name identifies a particular driver (i.e. "le",
"qe", "hme", "fa", &c). The number identifies an instance of the
device which depends on probe order. [*]

Fortunately, the BSD world avoided this particular form of brain
damage, thank <insert deity name here>! OTOH, as ph--ked as STREAMS
happens to be, it does have a certain appeal wrt dynamically building
and tearing down network stacks. The AT&T model just didn't have IP
in mind when it was designed.

-scooter

[*] I'd written a hacked version of ifconfig based on the output of
'truss' and managed to get it right in a limited way, as in ifconfig
only plumbs IP on top of devices.