I had a hoard of problems upgrading a 3.0-current a.out
system circa ~12/7/98 to RELENG_3.  After CVSuping,
running make aout-to-elf-build would complain about
OBJFORMAT previously being set in /etc/make.conf
(which I don't think it was) and suggested I override it.

Setting OBJFORMAT to elf, the aout-to-elf would fail
unable to find make.  Setting OBJFORMAT to aout, cause
a nasty warning about a.out not being supported.  I tried
a few combinations and could not get aout-to-elf to build.

However, I was around this by:
        setenv OBJFORMAT aout
        setenv REALLY_WANT_DEPRECIATED_AOUT 1
        make buildworld