J Wunsch schrieb:

> As Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
>
> > > I suggest removing any multi character definition out of the collate
> > > files.
> >
> > It was Joerg initiative, I don't know DE enough to judge here. Please
> > resolve this problem with him (CC'ed).
>
> Well, not completely. :)  For testing, i've restored the file from
> before my change, and it missorts similarly.  I'm probably too stupid
> to understand all of this collate stuff.  So far, i haven't been able
> to come up with any locale definition that does the right thing for
> every input.
>
> To make matters worse, German doesn't even have a single collate
> defintion at all.  There are at least two dissenting definitions: one
> is the phonebook sorting order, and the other one (certainly more
> widely accepted and thus should be the base of our collate definition)
> the `Duden' (German dictionary).  According to my Duden, the following
> words
>
> Maße
> Maßeinheit
> Masse
> Massaua
> Massel
>
> should be sorted like:
>
> Massaua
> Maße
> Masse
> Maßeinheit
> Massel
>
> If anybody could come up with a set of collate definition files that
> does this, it probably would be the right thing. ;)  Maybe it's simply
> impossible to express using the current collate stuff?
It is impossible. The collate couldn't detect concatenated words,
which sould sort the usual way:

aussetzen
austreiben

(just a simple example)

I noticed the difference while looking into the /R/dist/src directory during
a "make release". ssys.XX was sorted behind susrbin.XX in ls output.

I suggest just backing out the stuff with multi character locale settings
because it is bogus. We should just use the simple phonebook sorting, because
it is easier to implement, and the people are more familiar with it.

Duden isn't always right (very true since last year for some parts in
northern Germany)

Daniel

P.S. Solaris does sorting the easy way (at least for LC_COLLATE=de.ISO8859-15
and LC_COLLATE=de)