> The BIOS setup menu usually has an entry to specify the type of the
> installed video card.  If this item is set to CGA, the BIOS and the
> vga driver will initialize the card, even if it is a VGA, as the CGA
> card.  Are you sure that this doesn't happen to be the case with
> your system?

My BIOS does not have this entry. I can only select if this is a PnP
operating system. I have set it to "no" because if I select "yes" my PCI
NE-2000 network card is not recognized because the BIOS does not assign
resources to it (I was told on this list that FreeBSD is not yet a full
PnP system in this sense). If I set PnP to "yes" the card is correctly
recognized as a VGA card.

> That commit fixed the problem where the vga driver wrongly thought the
> card is CGA when the BIOS DOES initialize the card as VGA.  If the
> BIOS initialize the card as CGA, the vga driver is still led to believe
> the card is CGA.  (And I believe that is the reasonable behavior.)

So how can I force the card to VGA in my situation? :) I have flashed the
latest BIOS into the motherboard and I still can't find any setting
mentioning CGA or VGA. More info about the motherboard can be found here:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/an430tx/index.htm

Blaz Zupan, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://home.amis.net/blaz/
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia