On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

MD>      Try reducing maxusers to 128.  Another person reported similar behavior
MD>      to me and after a bunch of work he tried going back to a basic
MD>      distribution -- and everything started working again.

Hmmm, ok.

MD>      It turned out that a maxusers value of 256 and 512 were causing his
machine
MD>      to go poof, but a maxusers value of 128 worked fine.

Ok. I'm glad, in a way, that I'm not the only one seeing
this.

The really weird thing though is that since reporting the problem,
it hasn't re-occured. If it occurs again, I'll mail the results of
the gdb -core /var/crash/blah, a trace and then try reducing the
number of maxusers.

This is the longest uptime I've had in almost two weeks - 14 hours.
Here's hoping :)

MD>      I haven't tracked the problem down yet.  Please try reducing your
maxusers
MD>      to 128 and email the results to current.

If the problem re-occurs, I'll do so :)
---
Khetan Gajjar       (!kg1779) * khe...@iafrica.com ; khe...@os.org.za
http://www.os.org.za/~khetan  * Talk/Finger khe...@chain.freebsd.os.org.za
FreeBSD enthusiast            * http://www2.za.freebsd.org/
Security-wise, NT is a OS with a "kick me" sign taped to it