:This did not improve anything , but I think I have found the couse.
:In that modepage there is a DISC value which was 0 on the IBM and 1 on the
:Seagate. I remembered a ' Enable disconnect' option in the Adaptec 2940  bios,
:setting this to 'off' for both harddisks led to a huge performance increase on
:the Seagate. If I also enable Ultra mode iozone write goes from 1.5 MB/s
:to 12 MB/s ( a factor of 8 !!!).
:
:       Paul
:
:--
:Paul van der Zwan              paulz @ trantor.xs4all.nl

    There's something wrong.  Disconnection should not cause that sort
    of performance decrease.  Disconnection is necessary if you want to
    maintain preformance with more then one scsi device on the scsi bus.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <dil...@backplane.com>