> On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Alexander N. Kabaev wrote:
>
> > The following script reliably causes FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT (and 3.1-STABLE
> > as of today) to lookup. Shortly after this script is started, all disk
> > activity
> >
> > stops and any attempt to create new process causes system to freese. While
> > in DDB, ps command
> >
> > shows, that all ten fgrep processes are sleeping on inode, all xargs are in
> > waitpid and
> >
> > all sh processes are in wait.
>
> You forget about all the processes (just a few, actually) stuck in "kmaw"
> (kmem_alloc_wait). This is definitely reproducible :( Should be simple for
> someone more knowledgeable to diagnose, as it looks to be a straight
> vm/vfs(ufs/ffs) interaction.

This is happening to me too, with a system that was from the 19th's SNAP, as
well as today's kernel. (except I don't see anything in 'kmaw'). The process
'swapper' is stuck in 'inode', as well as anything else that's tried to
touch the disk. Lots of 'sh's sitting in 'wait'.

This machine is a heavy NFS client, but I'm not sure that it's related.

Kevin