> > It is time to dump libg++.  Once EGCS is in the tree, I'll make a port of
> > the libg++ meant for post g++ 2.8 compilers.
>
> What's the exact division between libg++ and libstdc++?  I'm sure
> I'm not the only person confused by this one. :)

libg++ was a set of "standard" classes for strings, lists, etc. created
by FSF to help others from inventing the wheel.  Stroustrup has commented
that one of his bigger mistakes was releasing C++ on the world w/o a
standard set of classes.  (where as Eiffel, et. al. did)

The ISO C++ standards committee realized this and decided to come up with
a standard set of basic C++ data structures.  AT&T's iostream and HP
Labs' STL (standard templet library) ended up becoming part of this
standard set.

Thus libg++ classes are a purely FSF class library that shouldn't be used
for any new code development.  The current libg++ only contains what was
left after the ISO stdlibc++ stuff was gutted.

--
-- David    (obr...@nuxi.com  -or-  obr...@freebsd.org)