It's been like this with SCSI disks since day #1.  I don't see it ever
having been quite the disaster of epic proportions that you make it out
to be.

> When a boot fails with something like /dev/rwd2s1g: Device not configured,
> how long will it take you to figure out that it was actually wd1 that
> didn't probe and what is now visible as wd1 is what you used to know as
> wd2?  If the disks are identical, you have to look carefully at the boot
> messages.  If that isn't a POLA violation, what is?

Talk about "bike shelter" material.

\\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  m...@smith.net.au
\\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msm...@freebsd.org
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msm...@cdrom.com