In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> R Joseph Wright
writes:
: I recently upgraded from 3.2 to 4.0.  I use an ide hard disk, and would
: like to know how to change over the devices.  I created the new devices
: by copying over /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV to a new /dev directory and running
: it, but it didn't create any ata* devices such as is shown in the kernel
: config file.
: It did make devices ada1, ada2, ada3, and ada4, which would correspond to
: the four slices on my disk, but if there are no freebsd partitions shown,
: such as ada4a, etc.

>From src/UPDATING:
        To rebuild disk /dev entries

        MAKEDEV should be copied from src/etc/MAKEDEV to /dev before
        starting the following:

                For N in the list of disks
                        MAKEDEV N                       # eg ad0
                        for M in the list of slices
                                MAKEDEV NsMa            # eg ad0s1a