> It seems Robert Nordier wrote:
> > If the problem is the bootblocks, why not send a message to Robert
> > Nordier, or if it's loader, to Mike Smith or Daniel Sobral?  And
> > say, "This is what I want to do, what are we going to do about it?"
> > or something similar?
>
> OK, easy enough, this is what I want to do:
>
> Boot from an ata disk on major# 30, device name "ad", plain and simple.
>
> As the bootcode is now this wont work. If its as simple as me adding
> the pair 30 & "ad" somewhere, I'm satisfied, if not, I'm dissapointed :)

Hah.  You should be reusing the major from 'wd'; there is no other way
for this to work, sorry.

More eloquently, the only information the loader has is the "disk type"
field from the disklabel, from which it has to decide the major for the
root device (this is all historical Vax breakage, but resistance to
fixing it has been strong).

By picking a random number for the major for your new device, you make
the situation much worse than it needs to be; the loader can't tell
which ATA driver is in the kernel.

\\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  m...@smith.net.au
\\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msm...@freebsd.org
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msm...@cdrom.com