Dag-Erling Smorgrav <d...@flood.ping.uio.no> wrote:
>Peter Jeremy <peter.jer...@auss2.alcatel.com.au> writes:
>> I'm running -current from a couple of weeks ago.  I recently re-compiled
>> XFree86 to ELF - which works, and re-compiled emacs-19.34b - which won't
>> work with X11, though it does work inside an Xterm.
>
>I run an Elf build of Emacs 19.34b daily on a completely Elf, very
>up-to-date 4.0-CURRENT box with Elf XFree86 3.3.3.1. No trouble at all.

I've worked out that emacs is looping in xterm.c:x_make_frame_visible.
It is apparently waiting for an input event indicating the the window
has been mapped.  It expects to get informed of this when a signal
(presumably SIGIO) invokes XTread_socket() via input_available_signal().
The only problem is that input_available_signal() never seems to get
called.  (I haven't been able to track down where F_ASYNC is being
set/cleared yet).

I'll try another make world next week and see if that helps.

Looking into this, I've found a few anomolies:
1) Trying to use the new aout X11 shared libraries reports an undefined
   ___error.  My old shared libraries are OK.  I suspect this isn't a
   major issue.

2) Running an ELF emacs inside gdb, when I set a breakpoint on sigaction,
   the breakpoint is never hit.  Setting a breakpoint on signal and then
   stepping shows that sigaction (actually _sigaction) is executed -
   though at a radically different address to the breakpoint.  Can one
   of the ELF experts explain this please.  (Not having breakpoints
   behave as expected is very off-putting).

Peter