On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
>
> > The natural tag for the TARGET would be in
> > /usr/src/include. However, I can see some problems with this for
> > the ports tree.
>
> Richard, don't forget that having /usr/src isn't required to build
> ports.

I don't think that I did forget. I explicitly reference that situation.

The real solution (re the TARGET) has to depend on something that the USER
sets for a particular "run". As such, it should be an environment variable
which defaults to the HOST value.

At the same time, the ports have to consider the purpose for which they
need the identification. For example, "fetch -A" is a HOST/TOOLSET
situation. But selecting the set of sysctls to compile into the
code is a TARGET question. Nobody said cross compilation is easy :-)

The "simple" solution for ports may be to build 3.1 packages on 3.1
machines and 4.0 packages only on 4.0 systems. In that case,
 TARGET == HOST and things are much easier.

I still see nothing wrong with /usr/include for a place to store a tag
about the HOST. Alternately, the traditional place would be /etc.

The format of the tag should be considered. IMHO, it is best if we can
have one knob which works for make, sh, and cc.