On 8 April 1999 at 19:57, Chuck Robey <chu...@mat.net> wrote:
> Don't forget, with all the gnome and gtk ports (and the kde things)
> there are various files with "config" in their names, that a bunch of
> other ports depend on ... just to add confusion, and the rules for these
> dependencies aren't as cut and dried as the libs, because the libs
> follow usually one set of rules (laid down by the runtime linker) but
> the config files, every port seems to use it's own set of rules.  And
> there is no "static linking" for config files, to save you.
>
> A lot of these config files only take effect while building other libs
> or applications, which means they sometimes won't affect regular runtime
> problems, just beating the heck out of the upgrade nightmare.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding ... are we talking about scripts such as
gnome-config or gtk12-config?  These seem to be a blessing to me.  It
would be an order of magnitude harder to maintain GTK using ports if
it weren't for the simplicity of passing GTK_CONFIG="gtk12-config" (or
whichever applies) to the configure script.

What problems do you believe these are causing for upgrades?

Jacques Vidrine / n...@nectar.com / nec...@freebsd.org