On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Brian Handy wrote:

> On 9 Apr 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>
> >> [4 people said "YES!  Add g77!"]
>
> >I beg your pardon? You're adding g77 to the system because you know of
> >four people who would find it useful? Where's the logic in that?
>
> Well, statistically speaking, that's a bunch of "ayes" and no "noes".
> Lots of things happen via implicit acceptance.  (I was one of the people
> who spoke up in favor of this after David mentioned this.)
>
> >If you do add it to the base system, make it optional. I don't care if
> >it defaults to on, as long as I have the option to turn it off.
>
> This doesn't seem unreasonable.  (I also really like Chuck's idea of
> adding gcj in the same light.)

Geez, and I used to think it was only the commercial OSs that had a
problem with bloat and creeping featurisms ... :(  Chuck's idea makes more
sense...how many programs does the average system run that needs a fortran
compiler? *raised eyebrow*

Systems Administrator @ hub.org
primary: scra...@hub.org           secondary: scra...@{freebsd|postgresql}.org