It seems Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 01:39:46PM +0100, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> > Try to use a "normal" ie 40pin cable, that will limit the disk to
> > UDMA33 mode, if that works, well...
>
> Hurray, using a normal cable works. I got 2 cables for $0
> from a friend in a computershop ;-) A freebsd user, which
> I gave a promotion CD last year ;-)
>
> dmesg | grep ata:
>
> atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller> at device 7.1 on pci0
> atapci0: Busmastering DMA not enabled
> atapci1: <HighPoint HPT366 ATA66 controller> port
>0xac00-0xacff,0xa800-0xa803,0xa400-0xa407 irq 15 at device 14.0 on pci0
> ata2: at 0xa400 on atapci1
> atapci2: <HighPoint HPT366 ATA66 controller> port
>0xb800-0xb8ff,0xb400-0xb403,0xb000-0xb007 irq 15 at device 14.1 on pci0
> ad4: 39082MB <Maxtor 54098U8> [79406/16/63] at ata2-master using UDMA33
>
> Do you think there is a chance to get UDMA66 running, although
> for one disk UDMA/33 should be satisfactory ?

There are two posibilities, either the cable is bad or the disk is bad.
Since you could talk to it, and you didn't get ICRC errors, my bet is
that the particular Maxtor model is just as broken as most of its
other family memebers :(
However there is no mesurable difference between running ATA66
and ATA33 as long as you have only one disk pr channel, and if
you have more than one, the difference is still not worth
mentioning...

> BTW, what mode is MA DMA or something like this ? The abit supports
> two modes I never heard of before. PIO is known UDMA is known, but
> something like M DMA or MA DMA ???

That has to me MWDMA that the old 16MB/s mode, ata knows this mode
too, but only uses it if no UDMA mdoes are possible...

> Then an idea. What about something like atacontrol, to overwrite
> the speed settings, if you have to like in this case ? Would it
> be much work for you or worth the effort ?

Well, there are some pretty tricky things with that, some of the
controllers dont like you to step back in mode without serious
handholding and special code....

> Would be fine to use the better cable with low speed...

As long as you dont get any ICRC errors due to bad cableing there
is no difference whatsoever...

-Søren