To facilate auto detection of the local threading environment,
it would be nice if the -?thread options set all the necessary
compiler/linker flags.  It is a common practace for such
options to specify both compilation and link options.

I suggest the EGCS specs be adjusted to:

-pthread => -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_UTHREADS -lc_r
-kthread => -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_KTHREADS -lpthread

If the LinuxThread "port" is targetted to be -kthread:

-kthread => -D_REENRANT -D_LINUXTHREADS -lpthread

If the LinuxThread "port" is NOT targetted to be -kthread,
I suggest another -?thread option be added and the library
specified as -llthread.

-?thread => -D_REENTRANT -D_LINUXTHREADS -llthread

After modify the specification, the headers/libraries would
be adjusted as needed.  I can easily submit diffs if desirable.

Kurt