:
:Matt, i'm going to test your patches now, I really appreciate the work
:and explanations you've given as to the problem and the solution you've
:devised.  If anyone's gonna find a NFS bug.... :)
:
:I'm impressed with the changes you're proposing for the VM system
:and was wondering if these patches include the work for directory
:caching you've been working on.
:
:Thanks,
:-Alfred

    No, we removed it temporarily while we track down a softupdates bug.
    Plus it's more an optimization ... not really a bug fix, so it should
    be separate.

    I didn't really propose that we do what I said in the last posting
    in re: to the VM system, though it is a possibility.  Any changes at
    that level would not occur for a year or so ... not until 4.x becomes
    stable and 5.x becomes current.  It wouldn't be worthwhile unless we
    could simplify some of the complexity in the existing setup, and there
    may be other ways to do that ( like, for example, embedding the I/O within
    the buffer cache routines rather then requiring that the caller issue the
    I/O, which encapsulates a great deal of the buffer cache's current
    complexity ).

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <dil...@backplane.com>