> > : I have the ACPI spec and I'm starting to get to grips with it. Initially,
> > : I will be trying to use the static device configuration tables but power
> > : management, docking and all that other good stuff should come eventually.
> >
> > One problem that I've had in trying to use the acpi spec to implement
> > something is that the acpi tables on my laptop get overwritten early
> > in the boot process on my Vaio.  The driver would have to copy the
> > tables.
> >
> > By "early" I mean before the login prompt.
>
> I had a problem with that. I had to tweak machdep.c to believe the bios
> version of extmem so that the ACPI area wasn't overwritten.

Ahh, this is a very common problem on many new laptops.  Most notably,
the entire IBM ThinkPad line has this problem.

Someone submitted a patch that checked to see if the BIOS returned a
value > 64M, and if so to 'accept' it's value for the memory, since it's
more likely to be correct.  I'd like to apply it to -current, but I'm
not sure of the political ramifications....

Nate