First off, let's assume that I'm aware of all the traditional caveats
re -current being bleeding edge, read the lists, etc. and am willing to
deal with that. Now let's assume that I am trying to convince the powers
that be at work to use freebsd for an upcoming CGI server project. Here
is a relatively precise quote from the boss, "I think what we're going
to do is set up a box with dual 500's and put linux on it because
<vendor of one of our proprietary CGI solutions> says that their stuff
runs best on linux, I think because of the disk access or something like
that."

        So the most important things I need to know (in no particular order):

1. In general how stable is -current?  I know it goes through periods of
instability, but assuming that I'm following the lists and know when not
to build, could I put a 4.x box up and not be embarrassed?

2. Our architecture is *highly* dependent on NFS. I know that the good
work on NFS is happening in -current, which is why I'm considering it.
How well does -current NFS mix with an almost all-Sun network?  Any
plans on MFC'ing the NFS fixes to -stable?

3. How good and how stable is SMP currently, and does -current offer any
big advantages over -stable in SMP?

4. How about other "new" features, like soft updates and vinum?

        Any other words of advice would be greatly appreciated. My experience
says that a linux box won't handle the load that we're going to put on
it, so if I can come up with something that works and outshines linux I
earn points for me, and the project at the same time. If on the other
hand, it chokes, errr... that'd be bad. :) I have a scratch box at home
that is completely blow-up-able, so putting in the time to make it work
is not a problem, I just need to know where to start.

TIA,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

Nominated for quote of the year is the statement made by Representative
Dick Armey (Texas), who when asked if he were in the President's place,
would he resign, responded:

"If I were in the President's place I would not get a chance to resign.
I would be lying in a pool of my own blood hearing Mrs. Armey standing
over me saying, 'How do I reload this damn thing?'"