I wish :-(

It seems that some people think that it is OK to make changes to stable
even though those changes break things which used to work.

IMHO, branches of the kernel SHOULD be like shared libraries.
(It is OK to ADD previously absent features or CORRECT internal errors,
but NOT OK to delete features or change API's)

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I think you are seeing -current as the norm.  You shouldn't.  Under
> -stable the modules should (tm) continue to work since there are not
> made API changes in -stable.

Personally, I think that we should treat kernels just like another
library. They export an API (sysctl) that libc, et. al. uses and
another API that the kernel modules use. Any change that "breaks"
code which is compliant with those API's belongs in a new release branch.

PERIOD.