On Wed, 12 May 1999, Mark Murray wrote:

> Bob K wrote:
> > Well, I did some reading through rfc821, and an email address is defined
> > as follows:
>
> Email addresses != Usernames. What this suggests to me is that having
> an _alias_ (say) Mark.Murray to markmurray in /etc/aliases is OK.

Sigh.  Yes, I know.  However, here's the reasoning behind not having dots
in usernames according to passwd(5):

     The login name must never begin with a hyphen (``-''); also, it is
     strongly suggested that neither upper-case characters nor dots
(``.'') be
     part of the name, as this tends to confuse mailers.

Since any mailer that can't handle a dot in an email address that consists
of lo...@host is not compliant with RFC 821, I'm thinking "Hey! Why not
make the change?"

I've tested it on my -stable system here, and so far there's been no
incompatibilities (but then, I only tested a few things: see the original
email I sent - which is the point of putting something in -current before
stable :)

mela...@yip.org - Mustard gas: The kids love it!