On Fri, 14 May 1999, Garance A Drosehn wrote:

> At 3:51 PM +0700 5/12/99, Ustimenko Semen wrote:
> > Are we going to get this license? I am interested in NTFS
> > source code a lot...
>
> I would be very careful about getting an NT source license if
> your intention is to write NTFS support for some other operating
> system.  Microsoft is not doing this licensing for the benefit of
> mankind, they are doing it to attract college-type users to
> sticking with WinNT over open-source unixes.
>
> The last thing we need is some code from WinNT which causes us
> to be sued by Microsoft...

It would probably be very unwise for the project to get get the licence.

However, considering that we support loadable filesystem modules, somebody
adventurous enough can get the licence and write a (separate distributed,
possibly even only as binary) module.

Downloading a kld module from the net definately does not "taint" your
mind.

> ---
> Garance Alistair Drosehn     =     g...@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
> Senior Systems Programmer        (MIME & NeXTmail capable)
> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA

        Sander

        There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
        all these are just illusions.